07 July 2011

Fleet Foxes at the Fox 05.05.11

Somewhere between February and march, time and money fell into short supply- I began studying for my second attempt on the state architect licensing exam (the less said about that, the better) and we went into our second round of pay cuts at work. Deja vu - that sounds exactly like March 2010! Long story short, I made the unhappy but logical choice to cut the entertainment-slash-"performance research" budget and stay home and study. It turns out that was a pretty good idea, since I passed the test!





Luckily I had purchased tickets for Fleet Foxes before the pay cut went into effect, so a few weeks after my licensing exam T and I went to see the Foxes play the Fox (hehe) in Oakland. I missed the Fleet Foxes when they came through SF supporting their first album (I think that was '08?) but I read a review of their performance at Shepherd's Bush Empire in London around the same time and I really wanted to hear "their voices fill (the Empire) to the rafters without so much as a vocal quiver." I did see them perform as part of the Bridge School Benefit in '09, but the Shoreline is a large outdoor venue (therefore no rafters to be filled) and the Benefit is traditionally an acoustic setting... As I recall, the sound just sort of dissipated, and I really wanted to be swallowed in it instead.

Anyway, I got my wish fulfilled at the Fox- I think they've improved the sound since the renovation a few years back. It was good enough (almost) to drown out the obnoxious pot-smoking morons (sorry, is that too harsh?) standing directly behind us doing their best to carry on their inane conversation OVER the music being played onstage. Just like the review I had read- perfect, clear layered harmonies, strong voices (the Foxes, not the pot heads), just awesome. T really liked how Robin Pecknold (lead vocals) seemed a bit shy on stage but didn't show it in his performance at all. Overall right up there with Bon Iver for spine-tingling harmonic effect.

Speaking of Bon Iver... they'll be at the Greek in Berkeley in September, with Other Lives opening. I got a little birthday money recently, so of course the first thing I did was buy presale tickets for Bon Iver, and then in an unexplainable moment of excess, bought presale tickets for Elbow at the Greek. That would be the Greek in LA. What was I thinking?! Who knows...

No comments:

Post a Comment