17 January 2011

Kitchen Table Covers

This past Christmas, I made a CD for my Dad. I often make mix CDs for my Dad, or send him copies of new albums I think he will enjoy, since my love of music is rooted (in part, at least) in my Dad's love of music. His record collection has a sort of origin myth role in my memory- Simon and Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, the Beatles and the Dead. This year, I made a CD I called "Kitchen Table Covers," which is basically me and Ruby, sitting at my kitchen table, playing into my iphone (recording with the included Voice Memo function). The weekend before Christmas, I recorded five of my favorite covers (at the moment), in one or two takes each, imported them into itunes, burned them to a CD. Bam. Done. Ridiculously easy!



I was totally surprised by the sound quality of the recording- aside from being on the soft side, it sounds excellent. It also helps that the acoustics in that room are great, and my neighborhood is very quiet even on a Saturday afternoon. I have $1,000 worth of fancy home recording equipment tucked away in my closet upstairs, which has never worked properly on any of my computers (in fact the software refuses to install on the computer I bought specifically for that purpose), and now for no cost at all (since the iphone was given to me) I can sit at my table and make a decent recording... It would be a little frustrating, if I hadn't already given up on it years ago.

Once I get over the negative feelings associated with my recent open mic experience (give it a few more weeks), I'm definitely going to start recording my own songs at the kitchen table...

No comments:

Post a Comment