22 July 2011

Open Mic Progress - 07.12.11

I did it- I finally dragged myself back to the Freight and Salvage open mic night to try again, and I'm happy to report that it went much better! It's been about 8 months since my last attempt; hopefully it won't be 8 months before I do it again. I'd like to do it at least once a month.

I played a cover this time (Bad Reputation by Freedy Johnston), which feels a little like cheating since so many of the open mic folks play their own songs. I figured that I have been playing Bad Reputation since my high school days (well over ten years, that is) and it's so simple that I should be able to play it in my sleep. So when my fingers turn into spaghetti and my brain goes into cold shutdown, I should be able to get through it without forgetting the words... and it seems to have held true. I was pretty happy with it despite still being very nervous.

I have to say the guys from my study group were awesome- they were my "entourage." They all showed up and kept me company, and kept me from getting too nervous while I waited. I seem to have odd luck (or maybe it only seems this way to me) with performing immediately after the best performers of the night- this time I played right after an amazing south american quartet and a laid-back sweet voiced guy from Humboldt. He sang a song about a beautiful day, and he looked as comfy and happy as if he was sitting on his front porch watching the sunset he was singing about. Maybe I should watch more sunsets...

No comments:

Post a Comment