16 July 2010

Imogen Heap

I'm awful! Ok, first- Imogen Heap eye candy.




On a particularly miserable day at the end of last month, I had a ticket to see Imogen Heap at the Mountain Winery in Saratoga (CA), and I was not in to mood to drive an hour and a half down the peninsula on a friday night. I'm so glad I did it anyway. The venue was unique and awesome, my seat was (unexpectedly) close to the stage, and Imogen Heap put on a great show, with some well-coordinated audience participation, and set list apparently chosen by ticketholders online prior to the concert. It's an open-air venue on the top of a (small) mountain, and once the sun went down it got pretty chilly up there- the two women next to me, wearing nice dresses with bare legs exposed, had to leave early because they were too cold (Californians! Sheesh). I will admit that even with my REI shell and fleece vest on, I was shivering through the last two or three songs, and a lot of other audience members had blankets and coats. That's June in the Bay Area for you.


It rocked anyway! Her harmonizer thingy is awesome... it was windy now and then, and it would harmonize the wind (kind of screwed up "Hide and Seek" a little bit). She did a version of "Wait it Out" accompanied only by the piano, (said during the performance that was how it was originally written) and I thought it had more emotional impact than the recorded version, which I like very much.


I've pretty much run out of concert tickets now... eyeing some late summer/ fall tickets for Swell Season, School of Seven Bells, Shawn Colvin, Ray LaMontagne and David Gray, and giving a little thought to Outside Lands festival and Treasure Island festival (even though I hate festivals).

No comments:

Post a Comment