21 May 2010

Back to Reality; Broken Bells at the Regency Ballroom


I've been MIA from the blog for a month or so, thanks to studying for (hopefully!) my final licensing exam- wrapped that up this week, so back to "real life." I have not, however, been MIA from live music- since my last post I saw Miike Snow, won free tickets to see Aqualung (yeah free!) and also took the aforementioned T to see the Hold Steady at the Fillmore. I have actually been getting to about one show per week - pictures and recaps coming soon!



Tonight I get to add one more venue to my list- Broken Bells are playing at the Regency Ballroom in San Francisco. This is a new one on me- it looks to be kind of similar to the GAMH, which is just a few blocks away and built just a few years earlier. They were both built just after the 1906 quake, and both have ornate balconies and ceilings, hardwood floors and fancy chandeliers- this is the architect in me talking now. Doors at 9 so I better be getting on out of here...

Update: Regency Ballroom and GAMH are similar only in period... RB is to GAMH as an olympic-size swimming pool is to the aboveground pool in your neighbor's back yard. Which is to say, it was a monster crowd, verging on the intimidating; pot smoke created a pervasive haze, it was hot, the line at the bar was about 30 people deep, and a girl passed out right in front of me during the third song. Oh yeah, and Broken Bells were pretty good.

1 comment: