19 July 2010

Writing Music Again

I moved out of SF, to the East Bay. Two things have come out of it: my commute is shorter by a whole hour a day, and the living room of my new place has a great acoustic quality. It's fun to play music in different parts of the room facing different directions, and hear the reverberations change... the sound reflects in such a way that I can actually hear my voice coming back at me, which is very cool. Whenever the house is empty I close the windows and make some noise (our neighbors are very close).

Another thing I've been trying is to keep a sort of journal. Not a sit-down-at-the-end-of-the-day-and-write sort of journal (which has never worked for me) but more of a stream of consciousness thing. Sometimes if I'm in the right mood, I keep a word doc open on one screen (I have a dual monitor setup at work) and I write down what occurs to me... I started doing this awhile ago to try and work out the source(s) of my on-again-off-again general malaise, but what's come out of it has been some useful lyrical material here and there. I have a few half-songs in the works that are starting to shape up... feels good to be writing music again, but it's sort of annoying to have my own song stuck in my head, especially when I don't know how it ends yet.

1 comment:

  1. I have this vision of you facing the wall and playing guitar that's making my laugh right now:)

    ReplyDelete